For Sunday’s Daily Create, I took some tips from the design tutorials from Canva I went over, last week, as well as taking a photo from Pixabay to go with the fake logo, which I edited together and added the text in Autodesk Sketchbook (I was a little disappointed that I couldn’t change the name of the company, but I do like the subtle little pun I came up with to go with the name ‘Thorn & Arrow’). The emojis in Saturday’s Daily Create were copied and pasted from the Emojipedia. I wanted to portray the goddess Persephone as a bit of a klutz and Hades as serious and stoic but also with a bit of a sense of humor, himself.
I struggled with speaking a lot, as a child–I had a pretty bad stutter, which I feel like I still have, now, but it’s not nearly as bad as it was, when I was younger. As a result, I’ve always been pretty self-conscious about my speaking. On the one hand, reading lines aloud has probably helped me improve my speaking quite a bit, but on the other hand, it can also be frustrating trying to get out what I want to say, exactly as I want to say it, but ending up stumbling over my words and having to start a take all over. I also worry about sounding emotionless or robotic; I tried to emote in my alternate history story, but I can’t help but feel that that may have ended up sounding awkward or forced. Oddly enough, I can’t recall people criticizing me on that aspect, but it is something I’ve certainly noticed, myself.
I also tried to incorporate some of the techniques from the podcasts and the episode of Rik Mayall’s Bedtime Stories into my audio narrative–the use of foley and a soundtrack–to add to the immersion, which I think I did an alright job with, if I do say so, myself.
In the end, I found this unit itself to be very interesting, but the execution to be a bit of a challenge, in practice (for me, at least). It was fun, though, and good practice for the future.
I think that’s about it for me. Have a good week, everybody!