I’ve begun working on my DS 106 final project. So far, I’ve completed a rough outline of what I want to do with my story, and how I want to tell it, and I’ve completed the cover design of the story.
I drew the cover and colored it in with colored pencils. Afterwards, I scanned the drawing onto my computer and changed the saturation and brightness in MediBang, and then added the text and “sparkle effects” in Autodesk Sketchbook. The cover embodies the design aspect of the multi-media assignment, and in designing it, I’ve attempted to capture the principles of balance, repetition, hierarchy, and color. The pictures shown above show my process in drawing and coloring the cover, excluding the final cover featuring the text and sparkle effects.
At first, I wanted to draw the cover and then color it in digitally, but I figured that that would take too long and I would run out of time to do everything else I needed to do, for this assignment. Then I thought about coloring in everything with colored pencils and then adding in a background digitally, but then I figured that that would look too sloppy, since traditional and digital art don’t normally mix that well together.
I didn’t know what exactly to draw on the cover of the book featured in the story (shown near the bottom of the design)–the book in question is a spell book, and I wanted its cover to reflect that, but I knew that I wanted to do more than just write “Spell Book” or just draw a moon or a star on the cover, so in the end I went with a gemstone. Gemstones tend to be associated with the mystical, so I felt that it was a good fit for a spell book.
The mist that is rising from the central character is also meant to be a magic aura of sorts, as a way of adding more to the background than just an empty, blue space and to add a sense of balance to the overall design, as well as to help reflect the fantasy nature of the story, as a whole. As it stands, it looks like regular mist, but like I mentioned before, the final cover design features a subtle sparkle-effect (which is really just small, white dots) that I added later in Autodesk Sketchbook.
I wanted the cover of the story reflect the general gist of it, while still providing some intrigue as to specific details about the story–i.e. that the story will involve a girl, a book, magic, and an imp-like being. I think I did a fairly good job of that.
Anyway, I look forward to showing you the final product (along with the rest of my project)!